Search Engine Land’s daily recap provides daily insights, news, tips and essentials for today’s search marketer. If you want to read this before the rest of the Internet comes out, please Register here to be delivered to your inbox daily.
Good morning, Marketers and Google Ads (artist formerly known as AdWords) are back to the 21st this weekend.
Did you know that Google Ads started as a service where marketers paid a monthly fee and Google set up and managed ad campaigns? It is quite ironic that many advertisers today are lamenting the loss of control and data as Google Ads invests more in automation and is managing many elements of the ad campaign itself. The company already offers a self-service option for small businesses that “want to manage” their own campaigns ,” is the foundation of our current Advertising platform today.
What was AdWords like when it was first developed? “The AdWords program offers low-cost visibility on one of the industry’s leading search engines with CPMs from $15 or 1.5 cents per impression, $12 or 1.2 cents per impression. impression and $10 or 1 cent for an impression, for top, middle, and bottom ad unit placements, respectively.” give notice .
Not only that, but “Google’s fast-loading AdWords text ads appear to the right of Google search results and are marked as sponsored links, clearly separate from the search results.” It seems like a lot has changed with Google’s advertising product since its inception, and we’re also about to complete the circle in many ways.
Director of Search Content
Table of Contents
How to solve the marketing reporting conundrum without being a magician
In a recent survey shared at SMX Report, C-Suite executives said sales and leads are the top performance metrics for marketing teams. If sales and leads are what our leadership team, internal or external, care most about, what does this mean for PPC marketers?
Such preferences can lead to a degree of expectation that marketers will create a magic sales faucet, a source of wealth, or that there is a secret Google lead button hidden in the toolbox. Our tools are somewhere.
And hey, PPC marketers can help make some magic happen, but we’re certainly not wizards, at least not in the manner of Gandalf the Gray or Albus Dumbledore. In this tutorial, SMX speaker and Aimclear VP of Growth Amanda Farley dives into the steps to get the right reporting and measurement for your audience.
Navigating Google’s headline changes: The launch, what’s happening now, and what you can do about it
In August, Google introduced a new system for generating title links (title of search results in Google Search). “This is because we think our new system is generating titles that work better for documents overall, to describe their content, regardless of the specific query.” , company explain.
However, in the first implementation of the new system, SEOs provided for example after for example after for example about titles that not only don’t describe the content of the page, but can also confuse users and prevent them from clicking through. Fortunately, the situation has since improved, but putting blind faith in Google’s new system could mean you’re ceding control over an important aspect of Google’s content. yourself, this can ultimately affect your business. Below you’ll find a summary of how Google’s title changes have evolved, how you can verify your title has been changed, and what you can do to regain control. control them.
In this in-depth analysis, editor George Nguyen covers what’s changed, what to do if you suspect Google is changing your headlines, what to do if you don’t like the changes. What Google is doing and what these changes mean for the future.
How to fix SEO problems that keep you from reaching your goals
At this year’s SMX Report , JR Oakes, Senior Director of Technical SEO at Locomotive, provided an overview of the SEO Issues that kept us from achieving our goals. He took a holistic look at the resources, communication, and mental structures surrounding SEO that often stand in the way of progress. Usually, we look for quick fixes that give a big ranking boost. These things still exist, but the relationships involved in connecting us with our customers and the website with our users are where the most enduring value can be found.
In this article, Oakes goes over 8 ways an SEO team was able to overcome key issues and hit their KPIs and goals:
- Companies need teams and resources to succeed with SEO.
- The SEO team should focus on clarity of communication and effective prioritization.
- The main areas to consider in an SEO strategy are Links, Content (page satisfaction), Experience, and Relevance.
- GIGO is a real thing. Taking the time to slow down with accurate XML sitemaps, custom metrics, user feedback mechanisms etc can make your life easier and give you data to inform for the development.
- Take the time to look at the user session. You will thank me.
- Work hard to make sure your pages solve problems or provide the right answers.
- See how your site’s content matches Google-powered user searches.
- Write to support and build your site’s topic expertise. Credibility is key.
Employment: Looking for something new? View the latest jobs in search marketing
Marketing Automation Strategist @ The Keller Group (Greater Phoenix Area, remote)
- Wage: $75k – $90k/year
- Strategize and build multi-channel campaigns across email, social, web, and paid media
- Present innovative digital strategies to colleagues, potential and current customers
Head of Growth and Marketing @ Insight Global (California, USA, remote)
- Wage: $130k – $150k/year
- Lead customer acquisition initiatives by strategizing and executing growth marketing campaigns through paid, organic, social, and search advertising.
- Analyze and optimize campaign performance on major platforms like Twitter, Linkedin, Blog, Google Search, etc.
E-commerce director @ Havas Media Group (London, England, UK)
- Wage: £50k- £60k/yr
- Support our current and future Customers with eCommerce consulting services – focused (though not exclusively) on new product development, roadmap definition, experience management and assist in creating business ways
- In-depth experience in eCommerce tactics and how to influence digital and physical journeys.
Content Marketing Manager @ GoHealth (Texas, US)
- Wage: $85k – $90k/year
- Develop an overall content plan that meets strategic brand and lead generation goals; translate this plan into an editorial calendar and manage the workflow for execution
- Create short-form and medium-length direct response content for lead generation that includes original articles, landing page copy, and paid social ads
What we’re reading: What does “buyable” content mean for the upcoming holiday season?
We’ve probably mentioned it a thousand times, but the pandemic has spurred e-commerce and online retailing. It’s a fact of life that the trend of COVID shopping has become a way of life now. People expect to find what they need online (whether they plan to deliver or pick up on-site), and that fact, coupled with advances in AI and VR technology means that retailers are looking for “buyable content” to increase their online sales. holiday season.
How are the platforms performing? Mike Boland is in the top 3 for StreetFight here .
- Pinterest. “Pinterest recently rolled out the ability for merchants to automatically create videos from the products they’ve displayed on their accounts. This creates a slideshow that meets the needs of video and story-based formats in social feeds. The videos also link directly to the merchant’s checkout pages. Together with this Pinterest, Creators can brand their pins, which is a useful addition for affiliate marketers and influencers.
- TikTok. TikTok is continuing to expand their shopping, advertising, and integration options. One example is TikTok Shopping “which allows Shopify sellers with a TikTok For Business account to add a ‘Shopping’ tab to their TikTok profile. That allows them to sync their product catalog and create a small storefront on TikTok. So integrations continue to expand in many directions,” said Boland.
- YouTube YouTube just this week announced that they are expanding their in-person shopping program. This provides sellers with a QVC-like format for streaming product demonstrations. It will be rolled out in its entirety through a week-long event called ‘YouTube Holiday Stream and Shopping’ starting November 15.” The move elevates YouTube to a shopping destination.
Shopping doesn’t just happen on e-commerce sites anymore. Social and streaming platforms are becoming the retail destination (especially as we approach the holiday season) with shoppable content. Retailers will have to take advantage of integrations to ensure they’re found across channels this holiday shopping season.