This article will help you know how to reset the forgotten System Administrator password using Microsoft’s SQL Server program. You can do this by logging in with Windows Authentication, using the Command Prompt, or using Single-User Mode.
In this tutorial, BKNS will guide you to use login with Windows Authentication to reset SA password:
- Learn methods. If Windows Authentication is enabled for your server, you can use it to log in to the server without entering a password. Once logged in, you can easily change the password of the SQL server.
If Windows Authentication is not available, you need to use Single-User Mode or use Command Prompt
- Make sure SSMS is installed. SSMS is a user interface that allows you to change some elements of your SQL Server setup in a window instead of in the Command Prompt. If you do not have SSMS installed, do the following:
Access the SSMS settings page with a browser.
Click the Download SQL Server Management Studio 17.6 link (Download SQL Server Management Studio 17.6).
Double-click the downloaded SSMS installation file.
Follow the on-screen instructions to install SSMS.
- Open SSMS. Type sql server management studio into Start, and then click Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 17 at the top of the Start window.
- Select the correct authentication. Click the “Authentication” checkbox, then click Windows Authentication in the menu.
- Click Connect. It’s an option at the bottom of the window. If Windows Authentication is applicable to your account, this will take you to the server’s control panel.
- Expand the server directory. If the server folder in the upper left corner of the window doesn’t show many options below, you’ll click the ＋ icon on the left to expand it.
- Expand the “Security” folder. This option is below the server name.
- Expand the “Logins” folder. You will find this option in the group of options below the “Security” folder.
- Double click sa. This is the option in the “Logins” group. This opens the System Administrator properties window.
- Enter your new password. Enter a new password in both the “Password” and “Confirm password” fields near the top of the window.
- Click OK at the bottom of the window. This will change the password and close the properties window.