The form of fraud by fake messages with the correct identity of the network operator, or banks, e-wallets, to appropriate SIM, personal information or get money … is not new, but many users still fall into the trap.
Many messages impersonate major banks to trick users. The messages all have the same content, sent from the beginning of the bank number “We are sorry that you are using foreign content. If you don’t have to use the content, please enter https://vn-‘bank name’.com to delete payment”. However, forms of fraud are increasingly “evolving” when fraudulent messages can impersonate the brand name (SMS Brandname) of large banks, causing unsuspecting users to fall into traps causing loss of property and money. and personal information is exposed.
Currently, banks still do not have a solution to thoroughly handle the problem of bad guys using strong tricks, technical and technological flaws and taking advantage of SMS Brandname to scam users. In addition to the measure of always sending messages to alert their customers. Therefore, in order not to become a victim of SMS Brandname banks that send messages with fraudulent content on users need to be alert and highly vigilant.
Table of Contents
What to do when receiving strange messages from the bank?
Scammers have forged the bank’s texting number, sent messages with content that scares off users’ fear of losing their accounts, losing money, or stimulating greed with huge profits and promotions. , winning a prize makes it easier for them to let their guard down, get nervous, and click on a link
Below are the steps to check messages from the bank to help users identify if the message is fake and how to handle it.
- Check to see if you are a customer using the bank’s service to send messages.
- Carefully check the content of the message coming from the beginning of the strange bank number to see if it is similar to the presentation of the messages received by the bank before. Spell check if applicable.
- Remember the website, the standard banking application that you use and double check (including special characters) the website address in the message.
- Do not click on links inside strange SMS messages at this time. Only make transactions using the bank’s official website or app to ensure safety.
- Install two-factor authentication in the banking application (can be SMS, token, soft token, biometric authentication, SmartOTP) to prevent password leakage in the worst case.
- Absolutely do not share, provide login information, OTP code to anyone in any way.
- When you suspect a message is fake or has lost information, immediately call the hotlines of banks on websites.
The form of appropriating the phone sim.
Carriers all believe that the form of scamming users with a free 4G mobile SIM upgrade message to take over the subscriber’s SIM and personal information appears and tends to increase. It is still a form of impersonation of the brand name of major carriers, making users lose their vigilance but lightly provide personal information, OTP codes and from there the bad guys take advantage of the personal sim.
According to a representative of the Department of Information Security, through verification and assessment, these fake messages do not come from the systems of telecommunications businesses, but are distributed through fake mobile broadcasting devices. (IMSI Catcher/SMS Broadcaster).
Identify phishing scams and avoid them.
- Pay attention to messages from phone numbers, prefixes or large carrier identifiers to create trust and deceive users. The content of the messages is often advertisements, instructions or contains links to fake websites like official websites of financial institutions, etc. These links are often very different from the official websites of large organizations. .
- On the fake website will ask to log in to continue the fraudulent act of appropriation. Users should be careful when logging in on links attached to messages.
- If the user has accidentally entered the information and there is a message asking to provide the OTP code, be absolutely careful, check if it is the official website or application, and then provide the OTP.
- Do not compose messages with strange syntax; do not provide personal information, account information, credit cards … through suspicious unofficial numbers of large organizations.
- When detecting that the sim card on the phone is disabled, suspected of having taken control of the sim, users should immediately contact the network operators to request a sim lock.